Fairforest Middle School was established in 1922 in the western corridor of Spartanburg as Fairforest High School. The building was erected on 25 acres of land at 4120 North Blackstock Road where it is presently located. During its productive 91 year history, this facility was transformed into a junior high in 1965 and a middle school in 1978 to meet the expanding needs of students and the educational system in a rapidly growing community.
Currently, four elementary schools (Arcadia, Fairforest, Lone Oak, and Jesse S. Bobo) feed into Fairforest Middle School which houses sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students for Spartanburg School District Six. Each grade level is located in a separate wing of the facility. The exploratory classes are predominately located in an isolated wing. The administrative complex is located in the center of the facility, with assistant administrator offices located on their assigned halls. Fairforest Middle School is one of three schools in the district commissioned with the task of preparing students for high school.
Historical Pictures of FMS: